September 25, 2012

telling time 2



finally the rest of the clocks I was able to make so far. Also with thanks to Sandra who gave me the link of this great site with handless clockdials, which saved me time on the two I used from there. It took quite a bit longer (and is the reason I didn't make all clocks I had planned) due to struggles with the alarmclock and had to make parts a few times over from different material to get it right. BUT... despite the challenge it was, it was well worth it I think. I'm really proud of how it turned out, although it sadly misses one hand*...

also, the little key I made was meant to be loose and could be switched between the slots, which I thought was really neat. But by gluing in the right brass tube (I needed the key on it for the exact right position in order to be able to put the key in) I - although being very careful - must have held the syringe with glue on the tip too much to the side of the hole when pulling it out and therefore the key got glued in too. And so tight, no matter how I tried, just couldn't get it of anymore... so that just has to stay in there. Ah well, the upside is that it will not get lost that way ;)

*and then I accidentally launched the 'big' hand in my living room during the final process of finishing.... Never to be found of course (did try, hard!).

some more photo's:
the hands of the clocks above are from watches, except for the left ('Newgate')clock: those I cut from a sodacan and held in fire to blacken them
I cut the hands of the black wooden clock from the metal from a tealight and 'rusted' them. The red clock after some adjusting actually worked, despite all the messing I had to do getting the hands on again. It did stop after a few weeks though, possibly due to an empty battery (I need to check that)
this alarmclock consists of 20 parts
beginstages of 3 of the clocks
a few stages of the alarmclock
UPDATE: I have a second hand for my alarmclock! In the beginning of the year (I think not long after I ordered some of Tom Walden after Chris' tip, but the ones I needed had been sold out) I found an inexpensive batch of watchhands on our Dutch online marketplace. And although I couldn't see in the pictures of the lot if there would be anything remotely what I needed I decided to take it all. I knew I could definately use enough of it for other miniclocks someday. Forgot all about it (even last time you asked Chris M.). But when Jay commented yesterday (greatly appreciated), I did remember those hands from last year, looked through all of them and there were even 3 of the kind I needed! So I could even loose one or two and still have one. Not necessary because I managed to fix the one although it was a bit tricky. More than 2 years after finishing it it's finally complete!

I'd like to thank everyone who commented with tips, I very much appreciate it!

18 comments:

  1. What fantastic results you've had with your shabby mini clocks! I adore your tiny alarm clock--great job! xo Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wat prachtig al die klein klokjes, ze zien er allemaal even perfect ui :)
    Jammer genoegd kan ik je niet aan zo'n oud horloge helpen.

    Lieve groetjes Mieke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dank je wel, ik ben er ook erg blij mee ;)
      geeft niks hoor, ik bedacht dat ik het maar gewoon kon vragen, nee heb je ja kun je krijgen nietwaar?

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for showing us your work in progress of this fabulous little alarm clock. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! I love tiny clocks but so far have made only simple ones. I love the key!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Monique, I am enquiring if you sell your little alarm clocks.....I find them totally irresistible. Please contact me if you do.
    Regards, Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, it's so great of you to contact me and I feel very honoured that you like my alarmclock so much! I don't sell miniatures (yet), but I will in the future, and I will contact you as soon as I have them, is that okay? Thank you so much for your comment and your interest! Bye! Monique

      Delete
  6. wow so tiny. I am doing a clock shop and collecting clocks and ideas these are great thanks for sharing. hope you find another hand for your clock

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome Chris! I wish you goog luck with your clock shop, I'll look you up to see how you're doing.

      Delete
  7. Chris M. (aka Meezer Mama)Sunday, February 09, 2014 6:49:00 AM

    I love your clocks! I know this is long after the fact, but if you haven't found a clock hand yet, you might look for Susanne Russo brass components. She made some wonderful brass clock hands for very reasonable prices. They are no longer made, but Tom Walden bought out the remaining stock and might have some clock parts left. You can find them at his website, http://tomwalden.name/2012/03/susanne-russo-brass/

    Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my god, thank you so much for this! I haven't found a replacement hand and so I went to that link rightaway and ordered them and some other items that I can very well use (had ordered some of her brass fittings in a Dutch webshop once and was already disappointed that I had never seen it anymore, hadn't known it was Susanne Russo's). I'm still waiting for Tom to let me know if what I want is still available (especially the clockhands), so fingers crossed! But thank you so SO much for this great tip, you've made my day with at least the possibillity of finding what I need. I'll let you know when I actually can get them. Thanks again!

      Delete
  8. Chris M. (aka Meezer Mama)Monday, March 31, 2014 6:32:00 AM

    Did Tom have the hands you needed? If not, I think I have some I could send you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris,
      You are so kind for thinking with me, I really appreciate it! Unfortunately the smallest hands were sold out (did get other hands and stuff though, still happy I got your tip), so if you might have what I need, that would be fantastic! That's so kind of you, if you do have one, how much would you want for it? And of course I would pay for the mailcosts. You can mail me at monique at seinen org, that's probably more convenient. Thanks again!

      Delete
  9. Hi Monique,
    If you are still looking for the miniature clock hands, or other Susanne Russo Brasses you can find them here - https://www.etsy.com/shop/LivingFreeInAmerica - Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jay, thank you for you comment and link, I greatly appreciate it. Unfortunately I couldn't find the kind of hand I needed (the 4,5 diamond) and the postage would be way more than the products (even if I would buy everything I wanted from the remaining Susanne Russo I can use), but thanks to you I somehow finally remembered that I had bought a batch of hands online early this year and finally got to checking out if the one I needed was in there and it was! So I'm not looking for a hand anymore, but thanks again!

      Delete