February 10, 2014

du main, du fin, du mannequin

the title probably makes no sense to you (or at all and translates horribly), but I thought it to be a nice twist to a phrase of a Dutch commercial for french cheese, which is 'du pain, du vin, du Paturain'.

anyway ;) : do you know the McQueenie Miniature kits? I just love them! They make and sell high quality kits (and finished products) of period furniture and I once ordered their mannequin kit at a Dutch webshop, since I really thought the Oldtique Store to be should have one. Later in some other webshop I found another mannequin of them, similar but with a different bust and I thought: why not have twó mannequins for my Oldtique Store? So I got that one too. The kit is supereasy, just glue the thing together and sand to get rounded edges on the feet. It would have been a 5 minute job, mostly because of the sanding.

but, I can't help myself always thinking of something that I want to add or change and these mannequins (lovely and perfect as they are on their own) were no exception.

I really wanted them with fabric, which is a bit tricky due to the shape. Starting with the first the summer of 2012 it took a while, but I finally got to do the finishing touches they needed.
I changed the look of the the kitparts of the second one a bit so they wouldn't be complétely identical, besides the different finishing of the fabric. The text of the light one is the name of the French fashionhouse Lanvin, the eldest in the world. Thought that'd be a nice touch. On the back I decided to put 'la couture de Jeanne', Jeanne being Lanvin's founder.
it makes more sense photographing it with the text to the light, but then you can hardly see it
the saucers on the 'arms' of both were a neccessity because of the fabric and being able to finish it neatly. But a lovely one I think and something you see often on reallife mannequins too. I made the saucers with milliput.
 
I forgot to make a picture of the tiny nappy pin I used to attach the pricetag. It's a lasercut one from the Dollhouse Mall and actually goes through the fabric of the mannequin
I'm so thrilled about them, especially how the darker one turned out (oh, I would love to have one of those in real life!), it's what I had in mind for it.

16 comments:

  1. I love the McQueenie kits, I got a chair and table from them recently. You have done a really great job upgrading these. I love the fabric on them and the aging, and the little tag!!! So cute! Hope you are getting on ok with your laptop, can't wait to see that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah, glad you like them! They are great, very high quality kits, a real treat for any miniaturist. The laptop is not going to be finished soon, because of .. mostly the lighting, it just won't work, not with the leds, not with EL-lighting (is a sheet of light, which I ordered, but my laptop is so mini, there's no way to be able to connect it, as I was afraid for.. Now inquired at a Chinese manufacturer for TFT LCD backlight after a tip I got, to see if that might work. But haven't heard from him yet. If it takes too long I'll try to put more tiny leds in the screenedge and see how that works. I will have an even lit laptop, whatever it takes ;)

      Delete
  2. That's what is great about kits. Different people personalise it to their own tastes. I love the mannequins. They look really authentic. =0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right Pepper, that is what's nice about them. I guess I sometimes feel I need to explain why I alter or add to a perfect kit, but of course it's all about personal taste, ideas and wishes. And thanks for your compliments!

      Delete
  3. Hello Monique,
    I have never seen one of their kits live but have only heard good things about them. You finished the mannequin beautifully.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have those lovely mannequin kits of McQueenies too ;)! Your mannequins with the nice makeovers with all the details are fantastic work, Monique!
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kits are great aren't they? Thank you so much Ilona, so happy about your comment!

      Delete
  5. Well, done, Monique - I have a 1:1 mannequin and your first 1:12 mannequin looks very similar! I have a few McQueenie kits waiting to be made, but no mannequins - just furniture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anna, that's a great compliment to get :D The McQueenie furniture is also beautiful, there so worth it to have. You'll enjoy making them, for them being so well made.

      Delete
  6. Great Job especially with the nappy pin, I've never heard of Mcqueen mini's but I do a search for them..thank you for sharing this info and your manny's look fantastic :)

    Hugs
    Marisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Monique! I think these mannequin Make-overs are Terrific! Your choice of fabrics and the branding and the pinned label are the kind of details that make your miniatures so Extra Special! Beautiful craftsmanship and posting, Thank You! :))

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always I'm blushing from your beautiful words, thank you Elizabeth!

      Delete
  8. heb problemen met mn pc gehad en zie deze post nu pas.
    je paspoppen zijn super geworden, ze zien er zo echt en gebruikt uit, prachtig werk!
    groetjes,
    Gee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, lekker altijd he, computerproblemen, dan merk je pas hoeveel je dat ding gebruikt! ;)
      Dank je wel voor je enthousiaste reactie, erg leuk!

      Delete